Sunday, March 17, 2013

Developing an exercise routine

How do I go from couch potato to an active person?
I wasn't raised to be an active person.

We already had a full YMCA membership, and we were only using it for the kids.
Now it was time to put it to use.

How do I get my family to be active with me?
The change had to start with me first. I needed to be able to keep up with the kids.

I started first by walking the track at then gym, then I hit the treadmill and elliptical.
I started off at the gym once a week, then increased to two times a week, and now I go to the gym three times a week.
I tried a few different types of exercises to see what was right for me.
Over the past 9 weeks, I have increased my strength and endurance.
I have went to the gym with friend(s), and I have gone alone. I really have no preference, I enjoy the variety.


4 Weeks ago, I joined a Cardio Salsa class at the YMCA.
I love it!! It is so much fun, and now that I am 4 weeks into the class it is an intense workout! It has taught me to really loosen my hips. I think my body is thanking me for it. The class is going to continue to the end of June. I am looking forward to learning more moves!


Do what you love! If exercise is boring, then you are more likely to quit.
Develop a routine; times and days that work for you.

A few of my friends have YMCA memberships now. We like to go swimming together, or hit the treadmill and walk/run at our own pace.

My plans for this Summer:

  • Walking in the mornings outside
  • Riding my bike
  • Riding my bike with the kids
  • Learn one new sport (Tennis?)




No comments:

Post a Comment